Our closing remarks.
Today is our last day. We are a little sad and a little excited to go home!
We got up and went to El Rastro, a very overwhelmingly packed flea market open only on Sundays.
Next we shopped for any last mementos or souvenirs and wandered along Gran Via one more time.
Later we went to stand in line one last time to get in free to El Prado, another big art museum containing lots of Goya and Velasquez paintings. The line was huge but luckily we are very good at standing in lines and we had nothing else to do!
No photos allowed.. But we saw some really great Spanish art! Las Meninas, Goya's 'Black Paintings', more paintings of Jesus than we thought possible and some of Bosch's weird creatures...
Afterwards we got dinner, got Anna some Bueno bars to take home (these were very important..).
Now, we are going to pack and get ready to get up at 6 to catch our plane home!!
We'd like to leave you with a few things we learned in our travels:
1. People are weird.
2. Gelato is the cure for everything.
3. When in doubt assume it's smallpox and get off the train.
4. Stereotypes exist for a reason.
5. If you want to see famous art, get up early! Really early.
6. Always ask multiple people for directions and don't always believe your map.
7. Never take the train with a hangover...
8. When a creepy man on the street comments in a foreign language as you walk by assume it was a lovely complement about how your dress brings out your eyes and move on.
9. Don't forget your comfortable walking wedges!
10. Eat it anyway.
In short, we have a new appreciation for the good ol' USA and Apple products in general. We will never complain about AT&T dropping calls again!
We are excited to return home to our showers, hairdryers and clothes we haven't worn 100 times. (noticed any wardrobe trends yet?)
As for advice on hostels, it is basically Russian roulette... Good luck.
We have had a wonderful adventure and have learned much much more than those ten morsels of knowledge above.
All in all we advise you to try new things, go new places and meet new people- just be warned, they might poop on the floor.